What is the WTO/SPS Enquiry Point?
The World Trade Organization (WTO)/Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Enquiry Point supplies the WTO and foreign countries with information (including but not limited to ) on any legislation, technical regulations, pest mitigation measures related to products under the scope of the SPS Agreement. It also informs local industry and trade of similar developments in other countries. It is therefore a conduit through which questions and answers on any SPS related issues are channeled to and from the relevant local/regional/international agencies and trading partners.
The enquiry point is responsible for answering all reasonable questions and providing relevant documents regarding:
- any sanitary or phytosanitary regulations adopted or proposed within the country;
- any control and inspection procedures, production and quarantine treatment, pesticide tolerance and food additive approval procedures, which are operated within the country;
- risk assessment procedures, factors taken into consideration, as well as the determination of the appropriate level of sanitary or phytosanitary protection;
- the membership and participation of the country, or of relevant bodies within its territory, in international and regional sanitary and phytosanitary organizations and systems;
- the membership and participation of the country in bilateral and multilateral agreements and arrangements within the scope of the SPS Agreement; and,
- the texts of any such agreements and arrangements.
- Enquiry points should also provide, upon request, information on participation in any bilateral or multilateral equivalence agreements and arrangements
Mr. Michael James
Senior Agricultural Officer
Graeme Hall, Christ Church, Barbados